Unified communications (UC) is a suite of communication and collaboration tools that allow users to communicate with each other in a variety of ways. UC solutions typically include voice over IP (VoIP) calling, video conferencing, instant messaging, and chat.
Open source UC is a type of UC solution that is developed and distributed under an open source license. This means that the source code for the software is freely available, and anyone can modify and redistribute it.
There are a number of benefits to using open source UC. First, it is typically more affordable than commercial UC solutions. Second, it is more customizable, as users can modify the software to meet their specific needs. Third, it is more secure, as the source code is publicly available and can be reviewed by security experts.
Benefits of Open Source UC
There are a number of benefits to using open source UC, including:
- Cost-effectiveness: Open source UC is typically more affordable than commercial UC solutions. This is because the software is developed and maintained by a community of volunteers, rather than a profit-driven company.
- Customizability: Open source UC is more customizable than commercial UC solutions. This is because the source code is freely available, and users can modify the software to meet their specific needs.
- Security: Open source UC is more secure than commercial UC solutions. This is because the source code is publicly available and can be reviewed by security experts.
- Scalability: Open source UC is scalable, meaning that it can be easily expanded to meet the needs of growing businesses.
- Community support: There is a large and active community of open source UC users and developers. This means that there is always help available if you need it.
Best Open Source UC Solutions
There are a number of open source UC solutions available, some of the most popular include:
- Asterisk: Asterisk is a powerful and flexible open source PBX system. It can be used to create a variety of UC solutions, including VoIP calling, video conferencing, and chat.
- Elastix: Elastix is a commercial distribution of Asterisk that includes a number of pre-configured features. It is a good option for businesses that want a turnkey UC solution.
- FreePBX: FreePBX is a free and open source web-based management interface for Asterisk. It makes it easy to configure and manage an Asterisk PBX system.
- Rocket.Chat: Rocket. Chat is a flexible open-source unified communications software. It includes features such as VoIP calling, video conferencing, chat, and file sharing.
- Mattermost: Mattermost is a secure open source team chat platform. It includes features such as file sharing, group chat, and integration with other applications.
Open source unified communications is a cost-effective and customizable way for businesses of all sizes to improve their communication and collaboration. There are a number of open source UC solutions available, so companies can choose the one that best meets their needs.
If you are looking for an open source UC solution, I recommend checking out Asterisk, Elastix, FreePBX, and Rocket. Chat, or Mattermost. These are all popular and well-respected solutions that offer a variety of features and benefits.
I hope this article has been helpful. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below.